[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Christopher Wallis bhairava11 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:11:00 UTC 2014

Dear Prof. Kapstein,

I'm so grateful for this reference, or rather reminder, since I read
the *Bodhicaryāvatāra
*so long ago I had forgotten. I'm not sure what catalytic would mean here;
I think this verse lends credence to Dominik's reading of "transmuted", and
this is also how Vesna Wallace translates this BCA verse. But at the same
time it's mysterious, because surely *rasajāta *is what transmutes, not
what must be transmuted!  So the Tibetan rephrase makes sense; the
translator thought the same thing.

gratefully,

Christopher Wallis, M.A. (Cal), M.Phil. (Oxon), Ph.D. (ABD, Cal)