[INDOLOGY] Vedic recitation technical term

Joerg Gengnagel joerg.gengnagel at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 31 12:34:20 UTC 2014

Dear Madhav,

just an addition to your remark: the term brahmaghos.a
(brahmaghos.a-diman.galair) is given in the
s'ivalin.gapratis.t.ha-vidhih. of the Somas'ambhupaddhati (Vo. 4, p.145,
vers 188, Edition Brunner). The recitation of the four Vedas is
described in verses 153-157 (p. 126), Brunner remarks that there is no
difference made between the simultanous recitation of the Veda and vocal
or instrumental music, all being part of man.galas'abda.

Best

Joerg Gengnagel

Am 31.01.2014 12:59, schrieb Madhav Deshpande:
> Hello James,
>
>      I don't know if there is a technical term for this very common
> practice, which offers the reciters some rest.  Often collective
> recitation of the Vedas is called Vedaghos.a or Mantraghos.a, the term
> ghos.a suggesting a big sound.  Perhaps, this usage of ghos.a is
> connected with modern expressions like Marathi jayaghos.a, a body of
> people shouting someone's victory.  Of course, this does not
> specifically reflect any alternating recitation of the Vedic mantras.
>
> Madhav Deshpande
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:19 AM, James Hartzell
> <james.hartzell at gmail.com <mailto:james.hartzell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Colleagues
>
>     MIght someone be able to help out with the following?
>
>     In current Vedic recitation practice in India, one method used in
>     either pair or group recitation is for each member of the
>     pair/each half of the group to recite one line of the text, with
>     the second member of the pair/second half of the group reciting
>     the next line, and continuing in this alternating manner.
>
>     I'm trying to recall the technical term for this type of
>     recitation practice.
>
>     Naturally any references to it in the published literature would
>     also be welcome.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     James Hartzell, PhD
>     Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC)
>     The University of Trento, Italy

> --
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
> Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
> 202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
> The University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA

apl. Prof. Dr. Jörg Gengnagel
South Asia Institute
Department of Cultural and Religious History of South Asia (Classical Indology)
Research Group "Waterscapes in Transcultural Perspective" (Cluster "Asia and Europe")
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330
D-69120 Heidelberg
phone: +49(0)6221/54-8906
fax:   +49(0)6221/54-8841