[INDOLOGY] Odia a new classical language for India

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Feb 20 12:10:48 UTC 2014

Hello Dominik,

Just for your information, an appeal to declare Marathi as a classical
language is already afoot, and the state of Maharashtra has appointed a
committee to prepare such an appeal.  I have seen some reports of this
committee, but I am not sure if there is a final version.  Shrikant
Bahulkar and Maitreyee Deshpande from Pune are members of this committee,
among others.

Madhav Deshpande

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com>wrote:

> The Hindu reports today that Odia now joins Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu,
> Kannada and Malayalam as an official "classical language" of India.
>
>    -
>    http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/odia-gets-classical-language-status/article5709028.ece
>
> It would be nice if we could now look forward to the opening of many new
> departments of classics in Indian universities, and the appointment of
> professorships and lectureships to support the study of the Indian
> classics!  And an acceptance by banks, computer companies and other
> employers that a degree in classics is a valid and valuable education for
> any subsequent profession.
>
> Best,
> --
> Dr Dominik Wujastyk
> Department of South Asia, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies<http://stb.univie.ac.at>
> ,
> University of Vienna,
> Spitalgasse 2-4, Courtyard 2, Entrance 2.1
> 1090 Vienna, Austria
> and
> Adjunct Professor,
> Division of Health and Humanities,
> St. John's Research Institute, <http://www.sjri.res.in/> Bangalore, India.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA