[INDOLOGY] Traditional/ insider's view of language or dialect status of Prakrits

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Dec 24 11:43:37 UTC 2014

Dear Professor Paturi,

If I may direct you to my own book:  Deshpande-Sanskrit & Prakrit -
Sociolinguistic Issues (Book MLBD 1993).  This book discusses many of the
questions that you have raised in your message.  With best wishes,

Madhav Deshpande

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Nagaraj Paturi <nagarajpaturi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When did the convention of treating Prakrits as 'languages' and not as
> dialects begin?
>
> Was there such an attitude of 'languages' not 'dialects' towards Prakrits
> in Sanskrit or Prakrit sources of the ancient or medieval period?
>
> Is there a work dealing with this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for any references in this direction.
>
> --
> Prof.Nagaraj Paturi
> Hyderabad-500044

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA