[INDOLOGY] Calukya/Caulukya, etc.

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sat Aug 9 13:22:16 UTC 2014

I’d be grateful for some elucidation on the following from list members
knowledgeable about royal dynasties in medieval India, particularly the
northwest:

In his Daivajñālaṃkṛti (1336 CE), the author Tejaḥsiṃha, apparently of
Gujarat and belonging to a family of (former?) royal ministers
(mantrin), extols the Prāgvāṭa dynasty (vaṃśa) in general and speaks
particularly of a certain Vikrama, apparently standing in some sort of
feudatory relationship to ‘the glorious King Śāraṅgadeva, whose fame had
become the head-ornament of the kings born in the illustrious Cālukya
dynasty’ (sphūrjac-cālukya-vaṃśodbhava-nṛpati-śirobhūṣaṇī-bhūta-kīrteḥ
śrīmac-chāraṅgadevāhvaya-puruṣapateḥ…). My questions are:

1. I had understood the Cālukyas and Caulukyas to be two different
dynasties, the Cālukyas being earlier and primarily ruling in the South,
whereas the Caulukyas ruled in the northwest. Is there any way that
‘Cālukya’ could be anything other than a scribal error here? (I have
access only to a single MS of the text, but Pingree’s CESS [A3 89],
based on a different MS, gives the same reading, without comment.)

2. Tejaḥsiṃha doesn’t quite call Śāraṅgadeva a Cālukya/Caulukya, but
almost. I’m assuming that this is the Vaghela king Śāraṅgadeva, which
would fit the time frame. Are the Vaghelas typically (or at least
sometimes) considered Cālukyas/Caulukyas?

3. Is the Vikrama associated with Śāraṅgadeva known from any other sources?

As always, many thanks in advance for any help!

Martin Gansten