[INDOLOGY] Devanagari keyboard

Tim Bellefleur tbelle at alumni.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 14 06:34:14 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

The issue with MS Word for Mac is not so much a problem of input, but a
problem of display. Word for Mac uses its own deficient page-rendering
engine which won't reliably compose complex Unicode characters like
Devanagari conjuncts and the "i" matra. As far as I know, there is no
workaround for this, and the issue has persisted through the every new
version of Office for Mac. However, the majority of other Mac-specific word
processors (Pages, Nisus Writer, and TextEdit, but not
LibreOffice/OpenOffice) use Apple's native renderer, which works just fine
with Devanagari.

I used Pages for some time, but its inability to seamlessly operate in Word
.doc format eventually led me to switch to Nisus.

-​Tim​