[INDOLOGY] SARIT developments

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 11:35:11 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

At the SARIT text archive, we've been experimenting with some innovative ways
of displaying texts.  Andrew Ollett has done some wizardry with XML, XSLT
and HTML, and Paddy Mc Allister has implemented some of these ideas as
style files controlling the display of some texts at SARIT.  I've done some
TEI markup to trigger these display options.  We hope to extend similar
techniques, as appropriate, across the SARIT collection.

See, for example:

   - Vācaspatimiśra [2004], Kāśīnātha Śāstri Āgāśe, editor(s),
*Vācaspatimiśraviracitaṭīkāsaṃvalitavyāsabhāṣyasametāni
   Pātañjalayogasūtrāṇi [= The Yogasūtras of Patañjali accompanied by the
   Bhāṣya of Vyāsa and the Tattvavaiśāradī commentary of
Vācaspatimiśra]<http://sarit.indology.info/newphilo/navigate.pl?indologica.16>
   *, (Puṇyapattane: Vasaṃta Anaṃta Āpaṭe, 2004)
   - Bhojarāja [2011], *Rājamarttaṇḍa = Bhojavṛtti [a machine-readable
   transcription of a
manuscript]<http://sarit.indology.info/newphilo/navigate.pl?indologica.18>
   *, (2011)
   - धारेश्वरभोजदेवस्य [n.d.], पण्डितकेदारनाथशर्मणा; वासुदेवशर्मणा च,
   editor(s), *सरस्वतीकण्ठाभरणम्ह<http://sarit.indology.info/newphilo/navigate.pl?indologica.19>
   *, (मुम्बय्याम्: पाण्डुरङ्ग जावजी, ख्रिस्ताब्दाः १९३४) (The first
   example of this style of presentation, by Andrew Ollett).

As you will see, we're highlighting the commentaries in a shaded box, and
allowing the base text (*mūla*) to be in plain text display.  We think this
makes the texts much more accessible and clear.  It also helps us to spot
occasional errors in encoding (like mistakenly tagging a bit of commentary
as if it were base text, or v.v.).

The fact is, once a text is encoded in XML, there are all sorts of
possibilities for manipulating it in interesting ways, for display,
file-comparison (e.g., J
<http://www.juxtasoftware.org/>uxta<http://www.juxtasoftware.org/>
), conversion to other formats, including e-books
(OxGarage<http://oxgarage.oucs.ox.ac.uk:8080/ege-webclient/>),
printing, coordination with MS images, and other uses.

Best,

Dominik Wujastyk
SARIT