[INDOLOGY] mnemotechnics and visualisation in Indian traditional recitation techniques

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 16 12:08:58 UTC 2013

Three
postures āyāma, viśrambha and ākşepa corresponding to the pronunciation of
the
acute, grave and circumflex were taught by Ṛgvedic ācāryas along with
practical
demonstration at least till the sixties.
These
were universal that is to say have been adopted by the Ārya Samājis too. In
fact
my
experience is from the Ārya Samāja. See the RV Prātiśākhya 3.1. But the
verse
will give no idea of the rigorous training. Maharashtrian and Arya Samāji
trainers
of North India are not symbiotically related, at least not more than

Roman Catholics and Presbyterians.
The
places of articulation are variously demonstrated but not through dia-
grammes
as in the Universities. At least a few decades ago Myanmar had
kept
alive a method of demonstration through the palms and fingers. These
are
not unknown in India.
As
far as I remember this topic came to be discussed in this forum a few years
ago.
Best
DB