[INDOLOGY] Query

Christopher Wallis bhairava11 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 13:30:35 UTC 2013

In answer to Matthew's question, this has been done in Alexis Sanderson's
forthcoming book "Śaivism and Brāhmanism".  A handout that outlines the
book's thesis is available on alexissanderson.com.

It's safe to say that the Kāpālikas were beyond the pale (vedabāhyatara)
for all orthodox brāhmaṇas, but some authorities (e.g. Aparāditya, as I
recall) rejected all initiated Śaivas as outside the Veda (vedabāhya) to
the same degree as the Buddhists. It is this (*inter alia*) that, to my
mind, makes the application of the term "Hinduism" impossible in the early
medieval period.

best,
CW