[INDOLOGY] Nateshvar

Dr. T. Ganesan ganesan at ifpindia.org
Mon Jun 3 06:15:34 UTC 2013

Yes. It should logically and histortically mean only Siva. For, we have
an ancient verse aabout the origin of the Mahesvarasuutra-s that are the
fundamental to the Sanskrit Grammar. The verse runs:
     nRttaavasaane naTaraajaraajaH nanaada DhakkaaM nava pañcavaaram .
So Siva is not only NaTaraaja but naTaraajaraaja !!!
Also we find hundreds of images ... in stone , metal, etc. of NaTaraaja
in all parts of the Bhaaratadesa.
The Saivasiddhanta philosophy attaches so much importance to the dance
of Siva: the five divine acts (pañcakRtya)--creation, maintenance, ,
etc. which Siva performs are all linked with each one of the objects
that naTaraaja holds and with His divine eternal dance.

Ganesan

Dr.T.Ganesan
Senior Researcher in Saivasiddhanta
French Institute of Pondicherry