pattisa

Judit Torzsok torzsokjudit at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 7 09:50:29 UTC 2013

Dear Members of the List,
I wonder if anybody has evidence concerning what exactly a pa.t.ti"sa is in Indian iconography. I have seen two definitions, without any firm support.1. A spear-like weapon which has sharp edges / a sharp edge, looking like a sword in fact rather than a spear.2. A double-bladed battle-axe or a halberd (these two not being identical, either).Please excuse my ignorance if this question has already been dealt with somewhere in detail.
Judit Törzsök