[INDOLOGY] Two Hari Dīkṣitas?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Apr 29 13:05:14 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking at two works authored by someone named Hari Dīkṣita.  The
Bṛhacchabdaratna is clearly written by Hari Dīkṣita who is the grandson of
Bhaṭṭoji Dīkṣita, the son of Vīreśvara, calling himself Vaireśvari.  There
is another work, the Brahmasūtravṛtti authored by Hari Dīkṣita (published
in the Anandashrama Sanskrit Series, no. 82), and this Hari Dīkṣita calls
himself Lakṣmīnaraharisūrisūnu, his work dated to Śaka 1658.  On the face
of it, these are two different Hari Dīkṣitas, and yet I have noted that the
Brahmasūtravṛtti seems to follow Bhaṭṭoji Dīkṣita's Tattvakaustubha in
criticizing the Dvaita Vedānta of Madhva and (p. 162) refers to the
Tattvakaustubha of Bhaṭṭoji Dīkṣita: *vistaras tu tattvakaustubhe
draṣṭavyaḥ.  *I am wondering about the relationship of these two Hari
Dīkṣitas.  I will appreciate if anyone has any suggestions or references to
any publications that deal with this question.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA