[INDOLOGY] Ind-senz OCR software for Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Apr 11 19:32:27 UTC 2013

This OCR program for Devanagari looks very useful.  As a Mac user, I wonder
if there anything like this that would work on Mac OS?

Madhav Deshpande

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Jürgen Neuss <juergen.neuss at fu-berlin.de>wrote:

> **
> Dear McComas and others,
>
> the man behind indsenz is Oliver Hellwig, with whom I have been working
> together for many years in the now defunct Indological Department of the
> Freie Universität Berlin. I have been using the software for sanskritists
> he developed for many years now. He also developed the INDOSKRIPT database
> interface, which those concerned with Indian epigraphy might know. (It is
> available here: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/falk/ ). With quite a lot of
> experience in OCR, I can assure you that there is nothing comparable to
> Indsenz's Devanagari OCR in the market. If you have a look at Indsenz's
> homepage, please also take a look at the SanskritTagger software, which is
> another tremendous tool being distributed as freeware by Oliver.
>
> Best,
>
> Jürgen
>

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:11:53 +0200, McComas Taylor <
> McComas.Taylor at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Colleagues, I never thought I would see the day, but I have just tried out
> Ind-senz's Sanskrit OCR software, with close to 100% success rate. I tested
> it out on a page of Lanman (good clear print) and got excellent results.
>
> http://www.indsenz.com/int/index.php
>
> Highly recommended
>
> McC
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> McComas Taylor,  ANU University Education Scholar 2012-13
> Head, South Asia Program
> ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
> Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
> Location: Baldessin Precinct Building, 4.24
> Website: McComas Taylor <http://arktos.anu.edu.au/chill/index.php/mct>
> ------------------------------
> Courses: Learn about some of my courses:  Sanskrit 1<http://www.screenr.com/NSBs>
> |  Indian Epics <http://screenr.com/uUBs>
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Dr. phil. Jürgen Neuss
> Freie Universität Berlin
> Institute for the Scientific Study of Religion
> Habelschwerdter Allee 45
> 14195 Berlin
> Germany

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA