Mysticism

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 11 02:02:36 UTC 2012

It's hard to imagine a culture in which debate was so deeply ingrained and
practiced with such relish and passion would have failed to come us with
words for "challenge." Indeed Monier-Williams offers no less than 20.

1 abhigraha (challenge)
2 abhyāhve (challenge)
3 ākṣip (challenge)
4 ākṣepa (challenge)
5 āhve (challenge)
6 āhava (challenge)
7 āhvāna (challenge)
8 utsṛ (challenge)
9 upahūti (challenge)
10 upāhve (challenge)
11 tik (challenge)
12 pṛtanāhava (challenge)
13 pratyarth (challenge)
14 pratyākruś (challenge)
15 pravāda (challenge)
16 saṃcud (challenge)
17 samabhigarj (challenge)
18 samāhve (challenge)
19 samāhva (challenge)
20 samāhvaya (challenge)

http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/mwquery/index.html
(and search in the "english" box for "challenge"; NB. a search for
"mysticism" yields zero hits.)

Apte's Eng-Skt Dictionary draws a blank for "challenge" -- a caution against
relying on it for more than rudimentary suggestions. (Apte also has zero
hits for "mysticism")

Dan Lusthaus