Mysticism

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Wed May 2 10:13:11 UTC 2012

In Kannada, the commonly used word in ādhyātmikate (which of course is Sanskrit ādhyātmikatā), but the same word also seems to be used as a supposed equivalent for 'spirituality'. As Dominik already said, it seems we have another example of incommensurability here.

RZ

On Apr 29, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> You might look at Apte's Eng-Skt dict for some ideas.
>http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/AEScan/AEScanjpg/ae0302-myope.jpg
> But as always with such queries (like last year's 'What's the Sanskrit for "go with the flow"?'), one has first to ask whether there is a Sanskritic concept that might correspond to English "mysticism."   And, most probably, there isn't, quite.  Much interesting work has been done on incommensurability in translation theory.
>
> Dominik
>

> On 29 April 2012 13:49, Harsha Dehejia <harshadehejia at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Friends~
>
> What is the best Sanskrit word for mysticism?
>
> Regards.
>
> Harsha

-----
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos