Harappan script

George Thompson gthomgt at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 19 19:11:42 UTC 2012

Dear List,

I too have grown weary of this debate, but some list members may not
be aware of this article by Harry Falk:

"Foreign Terms Pertaining to Writing in Sanskrit"

which has appeared in a collection:

*The Idea of Writing: Play and Complexity*, ed. by Alexander J. de
Voogt, Irving L. Finkel, [Brill 2010].

In this article, Harry asserts, in his first footnote, that "the
arguments brought forward by Farmer, Sproat, & Witzel (2004) against
the nature of the Harappan signs as 'script' are not convincing,
individually or as a whole.  I concur  with the counter-arguments
amassed by Parpola [2008]."

Parpola 2008:

"Is the Indus script indeed not a writing system?"  in Airaavati:
Felicitation Volume in Honour of Iravatham Mahadevan (pp. 111-131).
Chennai (Varallaru.com).

The issue is apparently not yet settled.

Best wishes,

George Thompson