Hindu idea of "hidden" verses in heaven

Paul Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Feb 14 15:35:38 UTC 2012

Dean,

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Dean Michael Anderson wrote:

> I've since run across it in passing in some tantric writings as well.
>
> Does anyone know the origin of this idea of a large heavenly corpus in
> contrast to a smaller earthly one? Or have any citations for texts that
> mention it?

This is a standard story found in Buddhist tantras -- the Kalacakra-tantra and Guhyasamaja-tantra being two of the more notable ones.  In these accounts, longer discourses were given in various 'heavens' or other locations of uncertain identity, while only abbreviated versions of the teachings are transmitted to the human realm.
   The stories relating such, are found in the commentarial literature to those tantras.

Paul Hackett
Columbia University