Sanskrit wiki - participation of scholars - an appeal

Shrinivasa Varakhedi shrivara at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 4 07:50:37 UTC 2012

Dear scholarly members of Indology list,

As we are all aware, the texts of shastras have got a little chance to be
alive for long with out the technological advancement. The oral tradition
of many Vedic shakhas and texts is in danger. The knowledge that was not
preserved in script form was lost to us. Even the physical preservation of
manuscripts has become a challenge. Digi-techonlogy has given more
life-span to them. Still we need to work on preserving and spreading
knowledge systems. The text which did not enter the press-room has not seen
the light and yet stays in the dark. The branch of knowledge that did not
come to light and was not spread, could not survive for long. The
preservation of existing Sanskrit Sahstrik knowledge and their texts is our
responsibility. We are accountable for passing on them to the next
generation using all means of modern technology. One such technology is
wiki-techonology, which is one-stop solution to all problems.

Wiki-pedia and Wiki-soure have become a power tool for knowledge
preservation and knowledge dissemination. Currently all most all living
languages and cultures find place in wiki. This will create the future
history for any language and its knowledge case.

Very recently Sanskrit-wiki has been taken up by a team of young scholars
motivated by Sri Cha mu Krishna Shastry. With in short period Sanskrit has
got a significant place in Indian Languages in content generation and
usage.

Here is an appeal to you to join us in the great task of restoring Samskrit
Language to its pristine glory. A phenomenal project, which visualizes to
bridge the gap between ancient knowledge base and present world.
*
*
*Content development in Samskrit Wikipedia

Samskrit Wikipedia** *is an open source on-line encyclopedia and Samskrita
Bharati ( an NGO striving for the cause of Samskrit )  has begun a * Content
Development Project* to render support in the knowledge sharing
process. *Scholars
like You * are a major part of this revival mission and could help to
further enrich the Samskrit Wikipedia and take it to a higher level.
**

We at Samskrit Bharati-Wikipedia wing, have set ourselves a goal of
maximizing inputs into Samskrit Wikipedia. We are keen to enlist the
services of similar enthusiasts who could contribute original articles or
translated articles (from other languages) on a regular basis. Suitable
compensation for the efforts put in would definitely be given.

Our larger vision is to build a network of contributors across all the
states of India and enrich Samskrit Wikipedia on a continuous basis.We
cordially invite you to join us and be a regular contributor.

For further details, Contact us at 080-26421152 or at samskritwiki at gmail.com

What can we do ?

1. Visit Sanskrit wiki and comment and give feedback.
2. Spread the news about this and improve the readership of wiki.
3. In Schools and colleges we can give assignments to the students in the
form of some information collection and content development.
4. Share if you have already had any text available in e-form.
5. Give some time in your weekly schedule to Sanskrit-wiki.
7. Translate some local news and place in wikipage.
8. Edit the text of your interest.
9. Type some text and contribute to wiki.
10. Coordinate team work at you place being in touch with Sanskrit-wiki
team.

Any suggestion, support in this regard is highly appreciated.

Come. Let us join together and complete this *jnanayagnya for next
generation. This is the time for "do or die" and "publish or perish". *
*
*
*If we miss this opportunity, we miss the whole. *
*
*
*With warm regards,*
*shrivara*