AW: [INDOLOGY] Yoga Body, a book by Mark Singleton

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Wed Mar 9 11:32:55 UTC 2011

(Dear Pihlpip)
The lexical quotation by Dominic (with a c) was
raising the interesting question of the
possibility to linguistically see at least two
different words 'yoga' in Sanskrit, therefore
homonymous.
The passage of Singleton's book provided by
Dominik (with a k) is indeed to be understood as
'yoga' in Sanskrit as having not the same
meaning(s) than 'yoga' as used in western
languages for denoting popular practices. But
since the latter (in English as in French, etc.)
is a borrowing from the Sanskrit word, the use of
the term 'homonymy' appears to me in this case
simply meaningless, as it would be the case for
'ayurveda', 'tantra', 'vastushastra', etc. when
the words are used in western languages for
denoting practices/discourses which are really
far from the extensive/comprehensive meanings of
the original Sanskrit words.
With best wishes,
C.

--
http://www.uclouvain.be/christophe.vielle
http://belgianindology.blogs.lalibre.be/

--
Sign-up to Dropbox using the following link and get 2.25 gigabytes of
storage free.