origins of name Pancha

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jun 12 20:58:17 UTC 2011

Dear List members:

I am passing on an inquiry from a colleague who is not a member of this list. You can reply to me on or off list and I will forward your responses to him.

Thank you.

Dan Lusthaus

---Query----

What is the origin of the Indian title/surname Pancharya? I am interested in the etymology and meaning of the name.

If it derives from pañca + ārya, what does that signify? A legend of five Nobles, or a clan with five noble qualities (e.g., something like pañcasaṃskāra -- the initiation undergone by Śrīvaiṣnava Brahmins)? Any light would be appreciated.