taxonomy question

elisa freschi elisa.freschi at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 6 12:58:27 UTC 2011

Dear James and Stefan,

I should have mentioned that Prābhākara authors explicitly deny the
existence of "spontaneously born" bodies —since they are nowhere to
be seen (the appeal to common sense is the standard device of
Mīmāṃsā authors).

As for your question, L. Schmithausen's work (see references in A.
Thrasher's post) seems to confirm the idea that plants were admitted
as a class of living beings in early India (including the earliest
layers of the Buddhist Pāli Canon) but then a general tendency to
rationalisation excluded them from the field of living beings in the
śāstric literature. This might have happened at an earlier stage in
Buddhist *texts* (due to the historical circumstances of its being a
"new" religion and of relegating myth often outside the precincts of
its reflection), whereas in "Hinduism" traditions favouring the
inclusion of plants have been preserved in epics, Purāṇas, etc.

I cannot really understand what you mean by "since yoni
> here serves as the cover term they were evidently not meant to be
> covered"

Could you explain further?

elisa freschi

Dr. Elisa Freschi
research fellow of Sanskrit
Facoltà di Studi Orientali
Università di Roma 'La Sapienza'
via Principe Amedeo 182b, 00185 Rome (Italy)
fax +39 06 49385915
http://elisafreschi.blogspot.com
http://uniroma.academia.edu/elisafreschi