Da śagrantha

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 10 12:38:47 UTC 2011

Dear list,

In my research on the Vedic schools of Mahārāṣṭra I have come across the
claim from many ṛgvedins reciters that they study the so-called* Daśagrantha
*s as their curriculum. These ten 'books' are: Saṁhitā, Brāhmaṇa,
Āraṇyaka, Śikṣā,
Kalpa, Vyākaraṇa, Nighaṇṭu, Nirukta, Chandas and Jyotiṣa. An alternative
list include the pada and krama (recitations), instead of Nighaṇṭu and Āraṇyaka
but give the list in a slight different order. Someone who claims to master
these "ten books" is entitled to the name daśagranthin/daśagranthī.

Does anyone here know how this particular list came to be put together? Why
are these the "ten books of the Ṛgveda"? Does anyone know of a ṛgvedin who
actually recites all these texts from memory? It seems that today it has
become not more than a prestigious title (and a inherited family name)
without the actual knowledge it is supposed to designate.

Any clues and suggestions towards more clarity on the subject would be much
appreciated.

Greetings,

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios
Jägerpfad 13