ku ṭikā

hans bakker h.t.bakker at RUG.NL
Thu May 20 14:19:01 UTC 2010

> Dear All,
>
> in an old commentary (from a Buddhist context) of about the first
> century AD, and probably of South Indian origin, i.e. in the
> Andhakaṭṭhakathā, I have the statement that after burning a
> corpse a hut (kuṭikā) is erected (karīyati) for the ashes and the
> bones.
>
> Does anybody know whether this is some general habit or perhaps a
> local custom or perhaps restricted to a specific time.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome,
> Petra
>
> ***************************
> Dr. Petra Kieffer-Pülz
> Wilhelm-Külz-Str. 2
> 99423 Weimar
> Germany
> Tel. 03643/770447
>
> email:
> kiepue at t-online.de
> petra.kieffer-puelz at adwmainz.de

In some Gandharan reliefs discussed in:  de Marco, G. (1987). T/he Stupa
as a funerary monument. New iconographical evidence./ East and West,
37, 191–246,  funerary monuments are depicted that are described as  `
hut.'  (p. 232).  The matter is discussed again in my
/Monuments to the Dead in Ancient North India  /in Indo-Iranian Journal
(2007) 50: 11–47, especially pp. 29f.

--

Prof Dr Hans T. Bakker
Institute of Indian Studies