"da ṇḍa", "halanta", "vir āma", "pūrṇa-vi rāma" and "ardha-virāma"

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 12:13:29 UTC 2010

"halanta" is a compound word of "hal"+"anta", meaning "ending in hal".  And
"hal" is a technical term from Paninian grammar that is a special shorthand
code meaning "the consonants".  So "hal-anta" means "ending in a
consonant".  The term originally applied to speech, but has been transferred
to apply to writing, meaning the little subscript stroke or dash that
removes the vowel from a syllable sign.

"Daṇḍa" just means "stick" and refers to the vertical bar or stick-like
stroke that markes the end of a piece of text.  Rather like a semicolon.
Two daṇḍas mark a more definite ending, more like a full stop.  But their
usage is not set in stone.  Some manuscript scribes don't use them at all,
others use them in haphazard ways.  Etymologically, "daṇḍa" may be cognate
with the Greek word "δένδρον, dendron" meaning a tree (and Skt. dāru, etc.
etc.).

Dominik