Unicode-compliant Garamond font ?

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Thu Oct 1 18:23:56 UTC 2009

Dear Reinhold Gruenendahl,

Thanks for your feed back!

I am indeed looking for a font covering the "Latin Extended Additional"
range.

The page for "jGaramond" does not seem to be very encouraging
since the person in charge has written that he "consider[s] the font
jGaramond to be deprecated."

The closest approximation to Garamond I have found for the time being
is a font called "Junicode", which is said to be "very similar in style
to typefaces of the 18th century such as Caslon."
(See the Wikipedia entry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junicode>)

It is available from the following URL:
<http://junicode.sourceforge.net/>

For those interested in typography,
here is what TYPEDIA has to say:

"Junicode (a contraction of ‘Junius-Unicode’) is an old-style font. The
roman is based on early-18th century type used by the Clarendon Press;
the italics and bold are designed to match. It contains Greek characters
based on the Greek Double Pica cut by Alexander Wilson of Glasgow in the
eighteenth century. Specifically, the type is based on that in George
Hickes’s “Linguarum Vett. Septentrionalium … Thesaurus” (Oxford,
1703-05), which was commissioned by Franciscus Junius.

(SEE: <http://typedia.com/explore/typeface/junicode>)

HOWEVER, since Claude Garamond (c.1480–1561) was active in the 16th century
(SEE <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Garamond>),
I am afraid Junicode will not be considered as completely adequate
by the person who incited me to start this search,
although the 18th century is closer to the 16th century as to the 21st :-)

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris)