Help preserve cultural diversity (Was: Language barriers --- financial barriers)

Paolo Magnone paolo.magnone at UNICATT.IT
Mon Mar 23 09:22:04 UTC 2009

Dear Friends,

I bitterly repent having ever quoted Hegel, and especially Macaulay, as
it seems to have done nothing but distract from the main argument.

Of course, it *is*
> reductionist and essentializing to present Macaulay as the
> representative voice of Anglophone attitudes to India [:]
when you make an example, you might as well pick an extreme one to make
your point stand out the better. In other words, Macauley was certainly
not meant to represent the average anglophone attitude to India, but
only to typify that attitude *at its worse*: I thought I had added
enough cautionary words to make that clear. (I take Dominic Goodall’s
subtle point on the suitability or otherwise  of Macaulay to demonstrate
matter-of-factness; I still think his parliamentary bombast must be some
sort of matter-of-factness raised to visionary heights  :-).

As for Hegel, thanks to Reinhold Grünendahl for his clarification;
however, here again, I was aware of Halbfaß’s assessment of Hegel’s
many-faceted relationship to India, but the interest of choosing Hegel
for me lies exactly in that, although in many ways he was, as Glasenapp
(quoted by Halbfaß) styled him, “the prototype of the Westerner, who saw
Western thought as the measure of all things” (but on the other hand, in
the frame of his system of the progressive unfolding of the Spirit, his
appreciation of what he regarded as a civilization of the past could not
have been unreserved: as Greece itself, India must have been
/aufgehoben/); still, in his “Vorlesungen über die Philosophie der
Weltgeschichte” he could pronounce those words, displaying a cultural
sensitivity which is far removed from Macaulay’s.

As for there not (any longer) being German indologists with a longing
for the ineffable, I suppose I shall have to take Grünendahl’s word,
albeit not without regret :-) For in my opinion this is one of the worst
blights upon much of present-day indology: while, for instance, the
overwhelming majority of biblists are motivated by the thought that they
are dealing with something extremely precious, it seems more and more
(Western) indologists could not care less about the actual content of
the Indian scriptures they are studying, but just treat them as a
playground to display their methodological acumen. On the other hand,
the deep sympathy towards the  Orient that was once characteristic of
German Romanticism need not necessarily have something to do with
> [wanting] to reverse the course of history according to a
> presumed "Oriental" model
and I am at a loss to see that there should be an intrinsic connection
between the two.

To finally come to what interests me more, when Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
reminds me that
> [r]egardless of Macaulay fanciful opinion about the 'pre-eminence' of
> English, the fact is that, today, English is the most practical
> language for international communication, scholarly or otherwise. This
> is not an ideological, political or imperial matter, but simply a
> pragmatic one.
excuse me, Luis, but this is a truism. How should I ignore this simple,
“pragmatic” fact? (although it is ironical that I should be brought back
to pragmatism, which is a close kin to “matter-of-factness”, exactly
while I am denouncing its one-sidedness). Of course, we all write and
publish and internationally communicate in English, and this same forum
bears testimony to it. This is a very welcome *choice* we all have. But
some would have us cease altogether from writing in anything but English
for scholarly purposes, which — to add one more consideration, apart
from the perspective of cultural diversity — would amount to effectively
demoting our mother tongues to the level of vernaculars unfit for
scientific discourse. And some are even going to the length of
advocating the adoption of English for dissertations in all countries.
Now, speaking of pragmatism, let us be pragmatic: how should a young
student, who (with the levels of student literacy falling everywhere) is
hardly at ease with his own mother tongue, be expected to handle a
foreign language with all the subtlety and stylistic accomplishment that
I (at least) insist on requiring? All we shall get is haphazard jobs,
and we shall have rendered a poor service to indology and to the
students themselves, who will have missed an unrepeatable opportunity to
learn to wield their language beyond the elementary requirements of
everyday life. (On the priceless pedagogical value of writing a
dissertation, here in Italy we have an all-time classic, much popular
with generations of students: Umberto Eco’s /Come si fa una tesi di
laurea/).

--
Paolo Magnone
Lingua e letteratura sanscrita