lalaj-jihva: the rapacious tongue of Kaalaraatrii

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 23 03:53:36 UTC 2009

About the Kathaasaritsaagara, as often, a more precise reference is
given in the Petersburger Woerterbuch than is to be found in Monier
Williams' dictionary, but to an old edition not to hand...

The description to which the PW and MW probably refer, which occurs
towards the end of the 2nd tara"nga of the 14th lambaka,  is not of
Kaalii:

taavac ca praka.tiibhuuya bhagavaan bhairavaak.rti.h|
uddh.rtaasir lalajjihva.h k.rtvaa hu.mkaaram abhyadhaat||...

Of course Boehtlingk & Roth and Monier Williams don't mean to indicate
that the Kathaasaritsaagara is a "source" for the term lalajjihva,
merely that the work attests the use of the term.  As Michael Slouber
has pointed out, lolling tongues in visualistions and in other tantric
contexts go back further than this.

And the lolling tongue as an instrument of (or metaphor for) rapacious
destructiveness is of course pretty old in poetry too:

Thus Bhaaravi's Kiraataarjuniiya 16:6

ujjhatsu sa.mhaara ivaastasa.mkhyam ahnaaya tejasvi.su jiivitaani|
lokatrayaasvaadanalolajihva.m na vyaadadaaty aananam atra m.rtyu.h||

Perhaps this fine tenebrous passage from Baa.na's Har.sacarita 8 (p.84
in Kane's edition) is more relevant:

sakalalokakavalaavalehalampa.taa bahalaa vaha.mlihaa le.dhi
lohitaacitaa citaa"ngaarakaalii kaalaraatriijihvaa jiivitaani jiivinaam.

Cowell and Thomas (p.256) render this with:
`The tongue of the goddess of Doom's-night, black like the charcoal of
the funeral piles and covered with blood, licks up the lives of living
beings, like a cow that licks her calf's shoulder,---eager to swallow
all creation as a mouthful.'

Dominic Goodall
Pondicherry Centre
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),