SARIT: Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Feb 9 20:52:49 UTC 2009

http://bombay.indology.info is John Smith's website (guest hosted by
INDOLOGY).  There you can find the IndUni font family, which are very
finely designed and optimized for Indic transliteration.  John also makes
available a very convenient keyboard handler for Windows (that's what I
use) and another for the Mac.  Using the IndUni unicode fonts (or any
Unicode font) and the keyboard handler makes it extremely easy to type
romanized Sanskrit. (RightAlt+a = ā (a-macron), etc.)  John has done us
all a great service.

There are probably several other keyboard systems and fonts out there if
one searches, but I can vouch for the simplicity and excellence of John's
under Windows.  I haven't used the Mac one.

If you're using Linux, there's a nice system that works with SCIM
(http://www.scim-im.org/), called m17n (http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib-en/).
A bit cryptic to install, but in fact easy, and also very easy to modify
for oneself.

Best,
Dominik
--