What happened when Brahmins became native Tamil speakers? (Re: "kaapya-" ...

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 12 19:48:14 UTC 2009

Dear JLC,

In my opinion, the use of dental n vs. alveolar n2 as in SII v8, no.196 is
not a significant issue. As you know, there are many case where in the
same inscription, the same name occurs with both variants. For kAppiyan2 with
alveolar n2, see SII 19, nos. 62, 63, and 335.

Two of my earlier posts that may be related to this issue are.

_http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9908&L=INDOLOGY&P=R2624&I=-3_
(http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9908&L=INDOLOGY&P=R2624&I=-3)
_http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0608&L=INDOLOGY&P=R479&I=-3_
(http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0608&L=INDOLOGY&P=R479&I=-3)

In the names of Classical Tamil (CT) poets and the persons they sung about,
 some seem to have only gotra component while others have gotra as well as
given  names while others have some or all of the following: names of the
name of  original region, name of original town/village, (qualified) name of
gotra,  current town/village, father and given name.

So we have AmUrk koutaman2 cAtEvan2Ar and kOtaman2Ar as well as cellUrk
kOcikan2 kaNNan2Ar and maturai iLaGkoucikan2Ar. The need for the use of given
name might have been based on how well-known the person was in the literary
 circles. Consider the case of the title kAviti discussed by pErAciriyar.
We have  CT poets, iLampullUrk kAviti, kiTaGkil kAvitik kIran2 kaNNan2Ar, and
AvUrk  kAvitikaL cAtEvan2Ar. Thus what tolkAppiyar says is a general rule.
But  depending on the 'branding' of the individual person, the minimal
number of referential terms/names/titles one needs to specifically identify a
person could have varied and the gotra-derivative name can be in the middle
or  at the end in literary usage. The case of the inscriptional usage might
be  slightly different since the inscriptions were legal documents and one
needs to have more formal identification.

This could have been probably similar to the current popular  usage of
'kalaiJar' which while in general could mean any artist (honorific), it
specifically refers to the present Chief Minister Karunanidhi. I guess in the
northern context it is similar to 'Panditji' which referred to Jawaharlal
Nehru.

Regards,
Palaniappan

In a message dated 4/12/2009 4:57:56 A.M. Central Daylight Time,