Will in Sanskrit

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Fri May 9 06:48:29 UTC 2008

Am 09.05.2008 um 07:59 schrieb NAYAK Anand:

> What is "will" (as in "will-power" "faculties of intelligence and
> will"...)in Sanskrit? Does the Indian psychology admit such a
> faculty in man?  Can anyone help?

There is a recent article on free will in Buddhism by Bhikkhu
Pasadika published in a collective volume. I don't have it at hand at
this moment, so I cannot say if he answers especially this question
but might be helpful anyway. Here are the bibliographical data:

Hat der Mensch einen freien Willen? : die Antworten der großen
Philosophen / hrsg. von Uwe an der Heiden und Helmut Schneider. -
Stuttgart : Reclam, 2007. -
343 p. - (Reclams Universal-Bibliothek ; Nr. 18521)
ISBN 978-3-15-018521-6 / 3-15-018521-1

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--