Intratext (was: Re: Mahabhasya now available in Intratext version)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri May 9 00:47:19 UTC 2008

Just a word about this Intratext site.  I've been in touch with one of the
staff there, Allesandra Allegretti, for a bit more than a year.  She has
been consistently enthusiastic, and encouraged me to submit e-texts to
their service.  There is no cost to me: they do everything, and have
independent funding.  Although the site is mostly dedicated to western
religious and historical texts, they seem very open to Sanskrit scholastic
texts too, even medical and grammatical texts.  They get filed under
"Hindu", but that hardly matters.  (I've mentioned this issue, but they
haven't got round to changing it.)  Their general mission statement is
here: http://www.intratext.com/info/infoedeng.HTM

It seems that the intratext project is well-enough funded that it is in a
period of energetic growth and outreach.

It is hard to overstate the value of having someone else do the work of
putting Indological e-texts into structured XML format on our behalf at no
cost.

If we consider this is a useful way for our various Sanskrit texts to be
incarnated, and there really seems to be nothing to lose, then it would
probably be good if we had a discussion about priorities.  If Intratext
continues to welcome Indic e-texts, what would we like to feed them next?
The Mahabharata?  Kathasaritsagara? Tripitaka?

Perhaps Peter Schreiner's Brahmapurana, and other texts
(http://www.indologie.unizh.ch/text/text.html) since they are well
marked-up.  Good, clear markup is important if not essential for
Intratext.  Verse numbers, adhyaya numbers, and so on should be clearly
embedded in the text with some regular, predictable structure so that
their conversion tools can get hold of such features without extensive
human intervention.

Thoughts?

Best,
Dominik

--
Prof. Dominik Wujastyk
Visiting Associate Professor (Spring Semester '08)