Digital Kielhorn

Richard Mahoney r.mahoney at ICONZ.CO.NZ
Sat Feb 16 03:51:40 UTC 2008

Dear Jonathan,

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 02:06, Jonathan Silk wrote:
> I am willing to stipulate that I am not very skilled at computer things,
> but:
>
> It appears that a number of things are scanned (badly, as far as I can see)
> on Gallica. But I cannot discover how to download other than a single page
> at a time. It seems that a large number of issues of JA for instance are
> available, but not articles one by one (?).

Yes it's true that the original BNF Gallica interface is a little
rudimentary. Still, it was only a start and better interfaces are here
already. You might like to compare the Gallica and Persee versions of
the Bulletin de l’Ecole française d’Extrême-Orient. Links to both
versions can be found here:

 http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=194

In my opinion the Persee interface is marvellous -- just click on a
page image and see what happens -- and their coverage is simply
wonderful: 1901[1]—2003[90-91].

BTW a number of other journals of possible interest have recently been
added to Persee:

1./ Annales. Histoire, Sciences Sociales

 http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=375

2./ L’Homme. Revue française d’anthropologie

 http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=374

3./ Cahiers de Linguistique – Asie Orientale

 http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=373

Hopefully this is an indication of more to come. Certainly it all looks
more hopeful than the closed subscription-only archives to have arisen
of late in other parts of the world. The following indicates some of
the changes afoot.

European University Association Open Access Recommendations:

 https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/4180.html

Kind regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org
Indica et Buddhica: Materials for Indology and Buddhology
Scholia: http://scholia.indica-et-buddhica.org/
Tabulae: http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/