Kadamba

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Aug 20 20:14:54 UTC 2008

The database at Kew Gardens can be helpful, but it is not an international
centralized solution to problems in botanical nomenclature.  It mainly
records all the different names that have been used, but doesn't actually
sort out the problems.  It leaves many major issues for further research.

Hooker is good, but completely a-historical.  Although it's wonderful for
botanists, I've found it generally unhelpful for the kinds of problems we
routinely face.

The reason I recommended the Sivarajan/Balachandran works in my last post,
-- and this also goes for the 5-volume Indian Medicinal Plants volumes by
Warrier, Nambiar and Ramankutty, that Stella cited -- is that they were
prepared by collaborations between scholars who are/were
university-trained botanists, as well as Sanskritists and practicing
vaidyas in Kerala.  These chaps know their onions, so to speak.

Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk
University College London