journal rankings

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Tue Sep 25 08:27:02 UTC 2007

Such ranking is used at the university of Oslo (and also other Norwegian
universities, I believe). It applies not only to Indology etc. but to all
subjects taught at our universities.

The ranking system is incredibly annoying, because publishing in the "best"
journals gives higher prestige and more money in the till. This means that
less illustrious journals, where e.g. Indologists might like to publish as a
matter of solidarity og good academic politics, easily get marginalized. I
had to deal with this nonsense when I was lecturer in Oslo a couple of years
ago, and I found it extremely exasperating. It is another bureaucratic
attack on scholarly independence and good common sense.

When you apply for a job, the locus of publication should in principle not
matter. But when you apply for research money, or your department does, it
does matter. Avoid such ranking at all costs!

Lars Martin Fosse

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164