Walter H. Maurer (1921-2007)

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Nov 9 18:42:59 UTC 2007

Dear Rosane,

Sorry to hear about Walter's passing. He was an early influence on me, minor
compared to you and Ludo, but a good influence nonetheless. I know that he
and Ludo were close in the way that only sahabrahmacarinau can be, and I
hope he is not too troubled by this development.

We are fine out here, looking forward to a three-day weekend. Jesse now has
a regular full-time job as public defender in Seattle Municipal court and is
temporarily (?) living with us. He likes the job although it is probably not
what he will spend his whole life on. He likes sticking up for the underdog,
especially when, as is sometimes the case, it is an innocent dog. He has
already established a good record in trials, having gotten several
acquittals or reductions of charges.

I have just finished my edition of two Gandhari texts of Anavatapta-gatha,
and it will be published next year. This is something I had been working on
for some seven years on and off, so it is a huge relief, as I am sure you
can understand.

Carol is mostly engaged in her Bengali, oops I mean Bangla textbook.

We will be in NY in December for the usual family duties. There probably
won't be time for a side trip to Philly but I'll try.

How are you guys?

Love

Rich