Nira-Narsingpur Narasimha

Ashok Aklujkar (Interchange) aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Sun Nov 4 07:26:13 UTC 2007

I find the possibilities mentioned by both Prof. Deshpande and Prof. Salomon
quite plausible.

Prof. Joshi, Will you please e-mail a copy of the text or text section which
gives rise to your query? Having the context in front is important in such
matters. At least, please mention the book/edition in which the
Lakmii-n.rsi.mha-sahasra-naaman is printed. Then I can see if it is locally
accessible.

Against, Prof. Deshpande's expectation, I know practically nothing about the
local traditions of Nira-Narsingpur -- an unfortunate consequence of being
more interested in cricket and the writings of Maharashtrian social
reformers when the family elders were discussing Sanskrit stotras or places
of pilgrimage!

ashok aklujkar

From: Richard Salomon <rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

> KEWA s.v. niiram, where he refers to other (early) river names such as
Sadaaniiraa. Could, for exampe, Niiraa be a shortening of some such original
name? Or, perhaps more likely, is the explanation to be sought in Dravidian
rather than IA?<

[Rasik Vihari Joshi[