pratiika/allegory

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Tue May 1 13:23:12 UTC 2007

pratika is certainly an old term (appropriately) made to convey a modern
meaning, especially in Hindi, Marathi (probably Bengali) etc. , that is, it
is a term which has undergone a (historically understandable) metaphorical
or secondary (laksanika) extension.

The closest older theoretical term  would be anyokti or (the fifth variety
of) aprastuta-pra;sa.msaa (here pra;sa.msaa means 'statement,' not 'praise),
which is commonly applied to verses but could logically be applied also to
longer compositions such as plays.

ashok aklujkar