river mahatmyas

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Tue Mar 13 09:20:18 UTC 2007

On 12 Mar 2007 at 15:14, JN wrote:

> i am collecting information on river mahatmyas. i am especially interested
> to know for which rivers mahatmyas exist.

Since secondary literature on this topic will be rather scarce, at least compared to
existing sources, a more rewarding way seems to me to start from manuscript
catalogues. Several strategies come to mind here:

If you are interested in mahatmyas on a particular river, look up the name in the
New Catalogus Catalogorum (as far as it takes us). A glance at the entries under
"Ganga-" will give an impression of the flood of titles one can expect.

For parts not covered by the NCC, and for rivers of a particular area, you will have
to work your way through individual catalogues. For a regional survey, start with a
manuscript catalogue of that area. For South India, you might try, e.g., the
"Mahatmya" sections of the  multi-volume catalogue of the Government Oriental
Manuscripts Library, Madras, or the respective volumes of the Mysore catalogues;
for Bengal see H.P. Sastri's catalogue of the Asiatic Society collection, and so on,
ad infinitum ...

Whichever way one approaches this, one is likely to be drowned pretty soon, I
guess.

Good luck!
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm