Online CPD

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Jun 11 05:53:59 UTC 2007

>  It is not clear from the website who has set
>this up, although presumably it is the folks in
>Copenhagen (as the dk in the address suggests).
>Nor is it clear how one might contribute to the
>site, which would also be a boon, since many of
>us have little pencilled notes in our own copies
>which it would be lovely to be able to share.

As someone who has recently begun to dabble in a
more disciplined way in Pali and who has some
prior institutional connection to the Copenhagen
CPD, I can say that Ken Zysk (a longtime valued
member of this list and "point man" for the CPD
in Copenhagen) may have more detailed information
on the state of this project (which I would love
to hear). But, from my own side, I can report
that, when I recently emailed him about the
status of the CPD, he communicated the following:

>We are up to [fascicle] 3.7, all of 3 are available except 3.7,
>which was published and destroyed by the distributor, Gade Direct, here in
>Copenhagen. Soon the whole CPD will be on-line, which a search option. It is
>only now the working out of the bugs.

So, my understanding is that no more paper
fascicles of the CPD will be produced, but all
future additions and emendations will be via
computer website. (Not sure why the last fascicle
was destroyed. [Ken?])

I, personally, as someone who tends to privilege
the long-term advantages of hard-copy text
publishing over the immediate convenience of
web-only publishing, am dismayed by this.

However, given what I also know about the
abhorrent, shortsighted, presentist focus of the
Danish government and Danish academe (in general)
on the "ehrvervs-relevance" (business relevance)
and "social-relevance" (social relevance) of
humanistic research, I am not at all surprised
that the funding has finally dried up for this
venture and that they are forced to resort to
online publishing to get by (please correct me if
I'm wrong, Ken or Ole).

No less an authority than Søren Kirkegaard
regularly complained of the fact that Denmark
suffered from being a country of small-minded
shopkeepers (indeed Copenhagen, the closest thing
Denmark has to a cultural center, means [roughly]
"merchant harbor"). Culturally, the situation has
changed little since the end of the nineteenth
century. A small-minded shopkeeper mentality
continues to stifle cultural production in that
country (against the determined but perhaps
futile resistance of a small, but at its best
talented, beleaguered and exhausted
intelligentsia), and research that does not
conduce to selling Danish products abroad or
purchasing cheap products or labor from the
developing world cannot expect significant
financial support.

I, for one, think that this project should be
supported, and should endeavor to continue the
release of print fascicles, in addition to its
excellent and beneficial online presence. Perhaps
there might be some chance of seeking financial
support for this project outside of the benighted
land of Denmark: from some place where
scholarship may be valued beyond its immediate
economic payoff? (But does such a place even
exist today?!)

Sincerely,

Christian Wedemeyer

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Assistant Professor of the History of Religions