US POSTAL SERVICE ELIMINATES SURFACE SHIPPING OUTSIDE THE USA

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Sun Jul 22 23:32:56 UTC 2007

Some US-resident members of this list may be involved in sending books and
other items to educational institutions outside the USA.  I have done that,
and I also just signed this petition. Some folks on this list
may not be aware of this substantial change in USPS rules.

Joanna Kirkpatrick
Bennington College, ret.

I just learned from the president of an organization of which I'm a member,
the following:

"US POSTAL SERVICE ELIMINATES SURFACE SHIPPING OUTSIDE THE US: Many of you
have generously collected and shipped critically important books (M Bags),
school, medical, and craft supplies to -------. There is no other method of
shipping items [outside the USA] other than by post, or personal delivery by
a traveler. In the recent postal rate hike, the USPS has eliminated all
surface and therefore ‘reasonable’ cost shipping outside the US. I was
astounded when I presented an "M" Bag of science books at the Post Office to
be told that my 30 pound box would not cost $30 but would cost $167 instead!

A group of individuals and organizations conducting various types of aid
efforts around the world have been hit hard by this change and have banded
together to try to find a way to enable our donations.

Please help us by signing our e-petition (see links below) expressing the
great loss of the "M" Bag and small packet surface shipments outside the US.

Go to this link to sign the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/zikomo/petition.html."

Thanks for any help with this.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.