converb (gerund) in Vedic texts

hhhock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Tue Jul 3 19:23:15 UTC 2007

See also the following, somewhat different, perspectives in papers by
me:

Discourse linkage in Sanskrit narratives with special emphasis on the
story of Nala. Papers from the Fifteenth South Asian Language
Analysis Roundtable 1993, ed. by A. Davison and F. M. Smith.  Iowa
City, IA:  South Asian Studies Program, 117-139.  1994

Narrative linkage in the Mah7abh7arata. Modern evaluation of the
Mah7abh7arata: Prof. R. K. Sharma felicitation volume, ed. by S. P.
Narang, 295-313.  Delhi: Nag Publishers.  1994

Pre-¡Rgvedic convergence between Indo-Aryan (Sanskrit) and
Dravidian?  A survey of the issues and controversies.  Ideology and
status of Sanskrit:  Contributions to the history of the Sanskrit
language, ed. by J. E. M. Houben, 17-58.  Leiden: Brill.  1996

Typology vs. convergence:  The issue of Dravidian/Indo-Aryan
syntactic similarities revisited.  Tokyo symposium on South Asian
languages: Contact, convergence, and typology, ed. by Peri
Bhaskararao and K. V. Subbarao, 63-99.  (= The Yearbook of South
Asian Languages and Linguistics, 2001).  2001

How Strict is Strict OV? A Family of Typological Constraints with
Focus on South Asia. Yearbook of South Asian Languages and
Linguistics 2005: 145-163, ed. by Rajendra Singh and Tanmoy
Bhattacharya. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter: 2005

All the best,

Hans Henrich Hock