palm leaf manuscript: script & identification?

David Magier magier at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Jan 22 15:42:30 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,
a colleague from NY is seeking assistance in identifying a 215-page palm
leaf manuscript. He is unsure of the language, the script, the age and the
text of the mss, and I would like to provide any possible pointers. An
image of one page of the manuscript is available online at:

<http://www.columbia.edu/~magier/manuscript_image.jpg>

One colleague guessed it was a South Indian script, but another discounted
that theory and wondered if it was some Bengali or Oriya script. I also
wonder if it could be Southeast Asian. Advice anyone?

Many thanks,

David Magier
South/Southeast Asia Librarian
Columbia University Libraries