Indus signs discussion

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Sat Feb 17 21:06:50 UTC 2007

Dear Lars Martin,

I agree with your post up to a point.  To the extent that the issue
rests on the basis of formal statistical criteria, yes, I agree that the
matter isn't really Indological, or philological, or linguistic.  But
the issue does not rest on that basis alone.  One issue that could
legitimately be discussed on this list is the question of what language
or languages may have been in use in IVC at the relevant period.  Asko,
both in the recent paper that has been mentioned and in his 1994 book,
makes the case for Dravidian. Many have  expressed their doubts about
his use of the rebus principle, which is so loose and slippery as to
make any interpretation of any sign seem possible.  But given our
knowledge of South Asia as a linguistic area, we could discuss his claim
that Dravidian is the best candidate.  We could discuss the relative
viability of other candidates, such Sanskrit, or Munda languages, etc.

Being only a Vedicist, I myself would approach this issue by
constructing a model of what a set of Vedic pictographs would look
like.  In my opinion -- not controversial on this list, I would think --
a set of Vedic pictographs would not look very much like the set of
pictographs that we seem to have in IVC.

Well, we could ask other Dravidianists what they think of Asko's use of
Dravidian in his interpretations of IVC pictographs.

I myself am not persuaded that the IVC signs reflect a logographic
system,or a script, but I think that it is viable that Dravidian might
have been a language of IVC.

I too would like to think that we could discuss such matters on this
list without personalia.

Best wishes,

george Thompson