Squiggly Underline in Critical Editions

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Apr 7 20:17:07 UTC 2007

I used the under-squiggle convention in my book

  "Metarules of Paninian Grammar: The Vyadiyaparibhasavrtti" (Groningen: Forsten, 1993).
  http://tinyurl.com/38z6c5

I used the Devanagari Metafont designed by Frans Velthuis.  Frans was kind
enough to run me up a variant form of the font in which each character had
an under-squiggle.  The start and end of each character's squiggle was
in the same position (relative to the baseline of the text), so they all
joined up nicely.  But characters have different widths, so the price
paid for the joining up was that the squiggles were of varying width too,
a bit like an oscilloscope graph of a frequency-modulated signal.

In spite of this compromise (which it would be hard to avoid in any
system), the results were very good, I thought.

Best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk