Hatha Yoga Pradipika Commentaries

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Nov 22 11:00:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:33:51 -0500
  joel bordeaux <jeb2104 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
> Hello.  I'm wondering if any of the Sanskrit Hatha Yoga
>Pradipika  commentaries other than Brahmananda's have
>been edited and, if so,  where one might find them.
>
> Rumor has it that Umapati, who I'm assuming is the 14th
>cent author  of Shivaprakasham, wrote one, as did
>Ramananda/Advaita Tirtha, who  seems to have lived in
>Andhra mid 18th cent.
>
> Other names I've seen are Mahadeva and Vrajabhusana
>(Mishra?), about  whom I am unable even to speculate.

In recent years, M. L. Gharote edited several works on or
around the Hatha(yoga)pradipika. See, e.g., the web site
of the Lonavla Yoga Institute
(http://www.lonavalayoga.org/publications.html)

Among these you will find:

- _Hathapradipika (with 10 chapters) of Svatmarama and
Yogaprakasika commentary by Balakrsna_ / ed. by M. L.
Gharote ; Parimal Devnath. - Lonavla : The Lonavla Yoga
Institute, 2001. - ISBN 81-901176-6-1

- _Hatharatnavali (a treatise on hathayoga) of
Srinivasayogi_ / critically ed. by M. L. Gharote [et al.].
- Lonavla : The Lonavla Yoga Institute, 2002. - ISBN
81-901176-9-6

There is also a Hathapradipikavrtti in Marathi by a
certain Bhojatmaja. In the Rajasthan Puratan Granthmala,
M. L. Gharote published a Hindi treatise inspired by the
Hathapradipika:

- Jayatarama krta Jogapradipika / samp.: Em. El. Gharote.
- Jodhpur : Rajasthan Oriental Research Institute, 1999
(Rajasthana Puratana Granthamala ; 192) [main text in
Hindi,  introduction in English]

In 1989, Gharote brought out together with V. A. Bedekar:
_A descriptive catalogue of Yoga manuscripts_. - Lonavla :
The Kaivalyadhama S. M. Y. M. Samiti, 1989. Despite the
title it is a tabular listing of mss. The "descriptive"
part is rather small, if existing at all.

Hope it helps

Peter Wyzlic
--
Indologisches Seminar der