Five characteristics of the student

girish jha jhakgirish at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 22 12:35:29 UTC 2006

Dear Mr Griffiths,

> From my childhood I have heard the traditional sloka
as follows:
Kakacesta vakadhyanam suno nidra tathaiva ca
Alpaharo grhatyago vidyarthi  pancalaksanah.
I am not aware of Diacritical signs on computer;kindly
excuse me.
Sincerely
Girish K. Jha Dept of Sanskrit  Patna Univ. India

--- Arlo Griffiths <arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL>
wrote:

> Dear Indologists,
>
> My 'grandfather' in Orissa once quoted to me a small
> verse of which I
> remember only one half of an uneven paada plus the
> final paada:
>
> ... bakadhyaayii ... vidyaarthipa;ncalak.sa.nam
>
> Reading Manu 7.106 reminds me of it. I tried
> googling to fill in the
> blanks, but to no avail. Can anyone help me restore
> my poor memory?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Arlo Griffiths
> Instituut Kern, Universiteit Leiden
> Postbus 9515
> 2300 RA Leiden, the Netherlands
>
> phone: +31-(0)71-5272622
> fax: +31-(0)71-5272956
> email: <arlo.griffiths at let.leidenuniv.nl>
> <www.kerninstitute.leidenuniv.nl>

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com