Times CSX Font

James L. Fitzgerald jlfitzgerald at COMCAST.NET
Fri Jun 23 22:08:42 UTC 2006

    Dear David,

    I can't speak to either CSX or CSX+; I've never used them. But you
should NOT have to rekey your texts, even if CSX+ doesn't work. To convert
your text to Unicode you would set up a macro in Word's Visual Basic Editor
(Tools\Macro Menu) and run a series of universal substitutions of one
character (or character string) for another. There are different ways to do
this, some more elegant than others. One simple and transparent way is
illustrated below.

    For years I used Ecological Linguistics "Indic Transliterator" and, or,
generic coding of roman letters needing diacritics. This illustration
converts from generic coding to the Indic Transliterator font, but the find
a replace strings could be anything and the target font could be any font on
your machine. You just have to feed in the proper characters or codes. Also,
you need to use the CHRW() function for Unicode codes. You could just take
the following code and, after changing all relevant data, plug it into the
VB editor and run it on your text. I'm attaching a .pdf of a table I made
giving the Unicode codes for .Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial Unicode MS"; it
also contains the codes for the characters available in
.Replacement.Font.Name = "TimesNewRoman"   Good luck! Jim Fitzgerald

    With Selection.Find
    .ClearFormatting
    .MatchCase = True
    .MatchWholeWord = False
    .Replacement.Font.Name = "IndicTranslit"
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>d", ReplaceWith:=Chr(182), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>h", ReplaceWith:=Chr(250), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>l", ReplaceWith:=Chr(251), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>m", ReplaceWith:=Chr(181), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>n", ReplaceWith:=Chr(198), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>r", ReplaceWith:=Chr(196), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>R", ReplaceWith:=Chr(236), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>s", ReplaceWith:=Chr(167), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>S", ReplaceWith:=Chr(215), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ud>t", ReplaceWith:=Chr(202), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<od>n", ReplaceWith:=Chr(169), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ac>s", ReplaceWith:=Chr(197), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<ac>S", ReplaceWith:=Chr(254), Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    .Execute FINDText:="<tid>n", ReplaceWith:=Chr(150),
Replace:=wdReplaceAll

    End With