maayaapurusha

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Dec 24 09:21:35 UTC 2006

Dear Eli,

While, offhand, I can't offer a source that discusses this distinction, I
would imagine it might derive from cosmological distinctions made in some
Pali sources between manomaya and nimmanarati devas. The former are
associated with the Radiance (aabhassara) loka, considered, especially in
the earlier sources, as the highest deva realm, while the latter are still
explicitly in the kaama-loka (above Tusita and below the
Paranimmita-vasavattii devas). Nimmana and nimmita sometimes get conflated
in Pali (cf. e.g., PTS Pali-Eng Dict, p. 368, re: nimitta, Nimmaniyati,
etc.).

B.C. Law, _Heaven and Hell in Buddhist Perspective_ (Varanasi: Pilgrims
Publishing, 2004 rpt of 1925 ed) gives a cursory account of these deva
realms and their inhabitants, with some references to canonical and
commentarial sources.

The Abhidharmakosa-bhasya discusses mayapurusa somewhere around 3:9 or 3:10,
I believe, but I don't remember any discussion of nirmitika-purusa there.

best,
Dan Lusthaus