EJVS 12-1: Vala and Iwato. (Compar. myth. in India/Japan/Beyond)

Sat Mar 5 08:14:05 UTC 2005

The Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies is now beginning its 11th year
(after completing 10 vols. and one special volume on Soma).

We now start off with vol. 12, issue 1 (March 1, 2005), 1-69,
containing a longish paper on comparative mythology:

"Vala and Iwato. The Myth of the Hidden Sun in India, Japan, and
beyond."

Similarities and congruences across Eurasia and the Americas (Laurasia)
are investigated, and a scenario is proposed for the surprisingly close
relationship between the Vedic and Old Japanese versions, both in myth
and ritual.

Available at:
http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu:80/~indst206/Background_Information/
Vala_Iwato.pdf

and the journal site:
http://users.primushost.com/~india/ejvs/ejvs1201/ejvs1201article.pdf

Additional pictures, plans and maps (big file!) at:

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/Vala-Iwato-pics.pdf

As always, serious discussion is welcome; please write to:
witzel at fas.harvard.edu,
and watch out for our new discussion list, Indo-Eurasia, to be
announced soon.

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street, 3rd fl., Cambridge MA 02138
1-617-495 3295           Fax: 496 8571
direct line:       496 2990
http://witzel@fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street , Cambridge MA 02138