Red ochre

Dean Anderson dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG
Sat Jan 1 01:23:01 UTC 2005

Matthew, I read the work you cited and found it very interesting.

>Perhaps an additional point of comparison, pertinent in the
>present context, is the later medieval ritual use of sinduura
>powder in India -- in Buddhist tantric contexts it is a
>substance particularly consecrated to the .daakinii.

Can anyone refer me to works that discuss the origins of sinduura and
what it symbolizes in India? Or of the use of red ochre in general
across the various cultures?

Do Buddhist texts specify why it is consecrated to the .daakinii?

Best,

Dean